Saturday, July 08, 2006

Niagara Falls

Yesterday Vanessa and I went to Niagara Falls with Mom and Dad. V wanted to ride on the Maid of the Mist. We did that, and it was fun, but I'm good for a few years before I need to do that again.



It's great seeing the ethnic diversity in Canada. On Centre Island, I saw Hasidic Jews sharing a roller-coaster with Muslims and their veiled wives, and at Niagara Falls I saw a dreadlocked six year old kid with skin as black as coal holding hands with a blond kid with impossibly fair skin. They looked like they were best friends. They could also have been subjects for a Benetton commercial.

Canada also has tons (Ha!) of fat people. Now anyone who knows me knows that I'm not exactly slender. Hell, let's face it - I'm fat. In Canada, however, I fit right in. In fact, I'm average, or even smaller than average. It's kind of disgusting, but the sheer abundance of foods here, the lifestyle of convenience which everyone lives, and the incredible selection of foods means that waistlines here aren't going to get smaller anytime soon.

1 comment:

Mark said...

I know exactly what you mean!